114 Hickory Street
Buffalo, NY 14204
NSD Mission Statement
"To improve the quality of life for Erie County residents. We carry out this mission through Advocacy, Outreach, Education, Emergency and Community
Services, Asset Enhancement and Environmental Justice. The CAO/NSD staff, volunteers, partners and block clubs work together to build vital, healthy and safe communities."
Please CLICK HERE to see the Services offered and run in part by The CAO-UB Collaborative Wellness Program at the
CAO Masten Resource Center
Please CLICK HERE to learn more about the CAO Green Entrepreneurial Center
Please CLICK HERE to learn more about the CAO Sports P.L.U.S. Program
The neighborhood Services Program is aggressively committed to strengthening out communities through a variety of services and programs, including:
- Advocacy and outreach,
- Strengthening the community's
- Building vital and healthy
- Connecting block clubs, parents,
schools, and businesses - improving the physical character of each community,
- Strengthening the positive forces impacting the lives of children and families, and
- Developing business opportunities to anchor our communities - for today and beyond.
- Bilingual Translation Assistance (Espanol)
- Citizen Participation (contact Linda Freidenburg - 716.886.2617)
- Block Club Incubator
- Utilizing seasoned Block Club Organizers, NSD United Neighborhoods helps committed citizens form independent associations called Block Clubs. United Neighborhoods Block Club Membership offers strategic planning, flyer and newsletter design, updates on community activism in Buffalo and abroad, free Xeroxing, and mentoring.
- Community Gardens,
- Neighborhood Advisory Councils (NACs),
- Digital Village
- Public Safety (Community Court, Restorative Justice).
- Emergency Services (contact Greg Clark - 716.332.4554)
- Food Pantry,
- Clothing Pantry,
- Intake & Referral, and
- Disaster Preparedness.
- Neighborhood Centers
- Resource Centers and
- Service Outreach Centers
- Neighborhood Escort Service
- Notary Public Services
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
- Senior Services
- Senior programs are offered at the Pratt Willert Community Center and the Edward Saunders Community Center. Please call for more information.
- Western New York Environmental Justice Center
- The CAO Environmental Justice Program is a new CAO Neighborhood Services Department effort geared toward empowering neighborhoods, families, and institutions through education and support for community by holding gatherings on pressing environmental concerns. In particular, our environmental efforts focus on the issue of Environmental Justice (EJ) which is the disproportionate impact of pollution on lower-income communities.
The program is the home of the WNY EJ Center located at the CAO JFK Community Center. The EJ Center provides a home for environmentally related institutions such as the Minority Health Coalition, the Environmental Justice Working Group, the Comprehensive Sickle Cell Task Force and various ad hoc community efforts. In its first year, the program has focused on issues such as waste clean-ups, urban agriculture, lead poisoning prevention, and alternative energy.